Chris Christie, who is recovering from COVID-19, said Thursday that he was wrong not to wear mask at a White House event for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett and during debate prep for President Trump.
In an interview with the New York Times, Christie said he thought he was in a “safe zone” at the White House before coming down with the deadly disease soon after President Trump and a number of top aides and Senate Republicans tested positive for the virus.
“I believed when I entered the White House grounds, that I had entered a safe zone, due to the testing that I and many others underwent every day,” Christie told the Times in a statement.
“I was wrong. I was wrong not to wear a mask at the Amy Coney Barrett announcement and I was wrong not to wear a mask at my multiple debate prep sessions with the president and the rest of the team,” he added.
He also urged Americans to follow advice from scientists and take precautions to stop the spread of the virus.
“I hope that my experience shows my fellow citizens that you should follow C.D.C. guidelines in public no matter where you are and wear a mask to protect yourself and others,” he added in the statement.
Christie was released from a New Jersey hospital last week after being treated with an experimental antibody cocktail from drugmaker Eli Lilly, according to the Times. The treatment has now been pulled from hospitals due to safety concerns.
In an interview with the newspaper, Christie said he was sitting in the third row at the White House ceremony after being told everyone in the first three rows had tested negative that day.
“I shouldn’t have relied on that,” he said.
View original post